1 equipment designed to serve a specific function [syn: setup]
2 (anatomy) a group of body parts that work together to perform a given function; "the breathing apparatus"
- /æ.pəˈɹæ.təs/, (rare) /æ.pəˈɹeɪ.təs/, /æpəɹɑːtəs/
- Rhymes: -eɪtəs
- The entirety of means whereby a specific production is made existent or task accomplished.
- A complex machine or instrument.
- An assortment of tools or instruments.
- a bureaucratic organization, especially one influenced by political patronage.
- In the fire service, a vehicle used for emergency response.
- Plural of apparatus
- Look at all of those apparatus.
a complex machine or instrument
an assortment of tools or instruments
a given system of procedures
a bureaucratic organization
a vehicle used for emergency response
Translations to be checked
- ttbc Breton: ardivink -où
- ttbc Indonesian: peralatan, perlengkapan, perkakas
- ttbc Interlingua: apparato
- ttbc Spanish: aparato
- ttbc Telugu: పరికరం
- ttbc Turkish: mekanizma
- apparatus (English)
Apparatus is a mass noun used to describe equipment designed or assembled for a particular purpose. Examples include:
Other uses include:
apparatus in German: Apparat
apparatus in French: Appareil
apparatus in Interlingua (International Auxiliary Language Association): Apparato (disambiguation)
apparatus in Italian: Apparato
apparatus in Polish: Aparat
apparatus in Ukrainian: Апарат
Bunsen burner, Erlenmeyer flask, Kipp generator, accouterments, alembic, appliance, appliances, appointments, appurtenances, armament, aspirator, bag and baggage, baggage, beaker, blowpipe, burette, capillary tube, condenser, contraption, contrivance, conveniences, crucible, deflagrating spoon, desiccator, device, distiller, duffel, dunnage, equipage, equipment, etna, facilities, facility, fittings, fixtures, furnishings, furniture, gadget, gear, gimcrack, gimmick, gizmo, habiliments, hand tool, impedimenta, implement, installations, instrument, kit, luggage, machine, machinery, materiel, matrass, means, mechanical device, munition, munitions, outfit, paraphernalia, pestle and mortar, pipette, plant, plumbing, power tool, precision balance, precision tool, provisions, reagent bottle, receiver, retort, rig, rigging, speed tool, still, stock-in-trade, supplies, tackle, tackling, test tube, things, tool, traps, utensil, utensils